Every now and then we are shock by news of children being accidentally left in hot cars which result to death. It breaks our hearts that this has happen to a child and also to the parents. As much as we are quick to judge parents for making this unfortunate mistake, we must also have compassion and understand the emotional turmoil they are experiencing. In hope to avoid more children being left in cars accidentally, here’s a few pointers for parents to take note as a reminder.
- Put something important at the back seat of the car. Whether you leave your laptop bag or one side of a shoe you plan to wear, this is one easy way to ensure you check the back seat before you leave the car.
- Place your babies toy on the passenger seat next to you. When you place a toy which belong to your child by your side, you will instantly associate the toy with your child and this can help remind you that your child is with you.
- Start a new habit. Research says that if you repeat an action 21 days in a row it becomes a habit. So, make it a new habit to open the back door every time you are leaving your car. Once you get the hang of it, it will just a part of your routine.
- Get your child’s nanny or child care centre to call you daily. Most times, when we change our daily routine, our minds kicks into auto-pilot and we forget to pay attention to our surroundings. So, get the child care centre to call you daily to update on your child. This is a safety precaution in case you have changed your schedule.
- Have sing-a-longs in the car. Make time in the car fun for your kid and have a sing-a-long, this keeps interaction between you and child constant so you are kept alert of his/her presence at all times.
- If you see a child locked in a car, call the police (999) asap! Do not wait to see if the child’s mum will come back in 5 minutes or 10minutes. Just a few minutes in a hot car and cause heatstroke in childrens bodies react faster to heat.